Simple Winter Harvest Salad feat. Chinese Cabbage

Just as sunny as summer--

Relative to summer, winter may seem lackluster in terms of color and variety—or at least so I thought. More than just the familiar root vegetables—potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, beets and turnips, there’s also citrus (a single word for a very diverse category), pomegranate, and persimmon just to name a few. The inspiration for this simple salad came from the professor who teaches community gardening. While visiting with him, he showed me around the garden on campus and also gave me a head of Chinese cabbage, cauliflower and some broccolini.


Upon seeing the Chinese cabbage, I had remarked that my family loved using it in soups. I was surprised when he then told me that it was considered one of the ‘best salad vegetables.’ Never before had it occurred to me to consider using it in a salad. He then added the tip to try it with just a bit of mayonnaise and tomato. I told him I would definitely try it when I got home. Before I left, I also got some kumquats growing nearby.

I made the salad the first chance I had, which entailed also making mayonnaise--a first for me. After looking up some recipes as well as the science behind creating an emulsion, I was none too excited about the frenzied whisking I would have to do. But I was in luck when I realized I could use duck egg yolk to make the mayonnaise rather than the traditional chicken egg yolk. Not only is it larger and thicker, making it easier to create an emulsion, it's also richer in flavor. 

Despite the benefits of a duck yolk, I still found myself furiously whisking away. 10 minutes and a cramping arm later, I finally had my mayonnaise, which I made with a mix of extra virgin olive oil and sunflower seed oil. 

Not too shabby, eh? 
Other than the mayonnaise, everything else was ready in no time. I added some kumquat, cranberry goat cheese, and walnuts to the Chinese cabbage. Using the extra lemon leftover from making the mayonnaise and a bit of black pepper, I pan-seared salmon to complete the meal. Check out the recipe below! And feel free to have fun with it--try another type of citrus or spice up the mayonnaise with a kick of chili powder!

Winter Harvest Salad--serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 1/2  head of Chinese cabbage (crosswise cut)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade*
  • 4-5 kumquats
  • 1/4 cup cranberry goat cheese
  • 1/4 cup toasted walnuts 
* Alton Brown provides a good basic recipe, complete with a video how-to and scientific explanation to boot

Directions:
  1. Cut the cabbage into thirds lengthwise. Then, working with one section at a time, slice lengthwise into approximately 1/4" thick pieces. Repeat with remaining sections. Transfer to a large bowl. 
  2. Add mayonnaise and toss the cabbage until coated. Divide among 4 plates. 
  3. For the kumquats: cut in half lengthwise, then slice each half thinly lengthwise into strips. Divide among plates. 
  4. Follow suit with the walnuts and goat cheese. 
  5. Serve and enjoy--I would recommend pairing this with a protein for a complete meal!

Comments